Joseph, Ogbu, Bucholtz, Defina, Block and Kinginger
EXERCISE 1. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAGgKE82034
EXERCISE 2. Read Joseph (2016), and answer the following questions:
- Does USA have an official language?
- Check your answer here: https://usconstitution.net/consttop_lang.html
- Were you surprised? What is your position about this?
- What does this tell about the idea of linking language with the concept of nation?
e) Researchers think that the link between language and identity could be interpreted as: (1) constructed intersubjectively, or (2) context-contingently. Explain these ideas using your own words.
EXERCISE 3. Watch the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3hRq2RnNI
EXERCISE 4. Read Ogbuâ€™s article, and:
1)Define the following terms (do some research if you need it):
2) Summarize the complaints and also the solutions that the parents suggest to solve this problem, and give your opinion about each of them. I will collect your response for this question. Write at least 350/400 words.
EXERCISE 5. Read Bucholtz and Definaâ€™s articles, and answer the following questions;
1. Define practice theory. Why might this be a useful tool for someone who is studying linguistics and speech?
2. Based on the readings, how do you think language is affected by a person social identity (jock, burnout, or nerd)?
3. When considering someoneâ€™s social status/standing during interaction, to what extent should language be considered in our judgement and used to place that individual within a certain social group?
EXERCISE 6. Read Kingingerâ€™s article, and answer the following questions:
1) What factors had the biggest negative impact on Aliceâ€™s foreign language learning experience in your opinion? What could have been done to prepare Alice so that these factors would have had less of a negative effect on her?
2) How does Aliceâ€™s story exemplify the importance of intercultural competence? After reading about Alice, do you think American education should place more emphasis on teaching intercultural competence?
3) How do first person accounts of language learning help others identify with and prepare for their own language journey? Give an example using Aliceâ€™s story.
EXERCISE 7. Read Blockâ€™s chapters (4 and 5), and the following article, and:
1) Explain (350 words) which ones of these recommendations you practice when you are exposed to another culture: https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/ways-reduce-homesickness-abroad
2. Read again the Australian conversation and the French conversation about how to ask/respond when a work colleagues talk about their weekends on page 114. What would it happen if in the Australian conversation, M (the person responding), answers the questions the way French people do? What would it happen, if in the French conversation, M answers the way Australians answer?
3. Write a dialogue (including information about gestures (shaking hands), and personal space) for the following situations in your native culture/language:
Situation 1: You are talking to your advisor when another professor joins the conversation, and your advisor introduces you to the other professor.
Situation 2: You are at a party, and a friend of yours wants to introduce you to another person. 4.True or false? Learning to speak a foreign language is a matter of adopting foreign norms. Explain!
5. Read again page 117. What is the difference between cross-cultural and inter-cultural learning?
NOTE: THESE ARE VERY LENGTHY READINGS. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THE ENTIRE THING. JUST SKIM AND FIND WHAT YOU NEED TO WRITE AN ANSWER. THESE ARE NOT ESSAY QUESTIONS.