you must address every question/statement. Your responses should be 1-2 pages. Create and save your document, then click on “Submit Assignment” in the top left corner of the page. You’ll be prompted to upload a file, then submit.
The three quotes below come directly from the film. Choose ONE of them to reflect upon while answering the following questions:
1. How does the quote make you feel? LIST 1-3 words.
2. What does the quote tell you about the drug war &/or the U.S. criminal justice system?
3. How does the quote fit into the sociology of deviance?
4. Address the bold face statement/question at the end of the quote you chose.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE COPY AND PASTE YOUR QUOTE TO THE TOP OF YOUR PAPER. I WILL DEDUCT 5 POINTS FROM YOUR GRADE IF THE QUOTE IS NOT INCLUDED.
1.â€œThe thing about the war on drugs isâ€¦and the question we have to ask is not why is it a failure, but why â€“ given that it seems to be a failure â€“ why is it persistent? And Iâ€™m beginning to think maybe itâ€™s a successâ€¦What if itâ€™s a success by keeping police forces busy? What if itâ€™s a success by keeping private jails thriving? What if itâ€™s a success in keeping the legal system justified in its sub-generated activity? Maybe itâ€™s a success on different terms than publicly stated ones?â€ Considering that the drug war could indeed be a â€œsuccess,â€ who does it benefit in society? Discuss. Incorporate Chamblissâ€™ legal reality theory into your response.
2. â€œLetâ€™s say it this way â€˜cause itâ€™s more honest. Instead of saying letâ€™s get rid of all the drug addicts and drug dealers, and once we throw away the key on them, weâ€™ve solved this problemâ€¦ Why donâ€™t you try saying it to yourself this way? All these Americans that we donâ€™t need anymore â€“ the factories are closed â€“ we donâ€™t need â€˜em, you know, the textile mills, theyâ€™re gone, GM is closing plants. We donâ€™t need the peopleâ€¦theyâ€™re extra Americans. We donâ€™t need â€˜em. Letâ€™s just get rid of the bottom 15% of our country. Letâ€™s lock â€˜em up. In fact, letâ€™s see if we can make money off locking them up in the short termâ€¦ Even though itâ€™s going to be an incredible burden on society. Even though itâ€™s gonna destroy those families, you know, where these people are probably integral to the lives of other Americans, letâ€™s just get rid of them. You know what, and at that point, why donâ€™t you just say, kill the poor? Weâ€™re gonna be a lot better off. Because this is what the drug warâ€™s become. Use the five links in the chain of destruction covered by Historian, Richard Miller, to discuss what this quote means to you.
3. â€œYou have to understand the war on drugs has never been about drugs.â€ Historical patterns have revealed time & again that anti-drug laws have always been associated with race. Use the crack scare as well as Quinneyâ€™s social reality of crime theory to discuss what this quote means to you.