This Application Assignment is considered the Final Paper for this course.
For the Final Paper in this course, you will create your own personal theory of counseling or psychotherapy, integrating or selecting from the theories and applications presented in this course. You may also integrate additional theories with which you are familiar.
The purpose of the Final Paper is to demonstrate your ability to understand, integrate, and apply theories of counseling and psychotherapy in your specialization based on what you have learned in this course. This project is intended to be beneficial for your professional development by having you actively think about how your personal attributes, skills, emotions, and knowledge influence and shape your selection and application of theory.
Your Final Paper builds on the assignments you have completed and demonstrates what you have learned in the course. The Learning Resources in the course and the Discussions and Application Assignments all will assist you in completing the Final Paper.
To prepare for this assignment:
Review the course Learning Resources (including media segments), Discussions, and Applications.
Review any notes you have gathered throughout the course for this assignment.
- The assignment:
- In a 3- to 5-page (not including references), double-spaced, APA-formatted paper, summarize your personal theory of counseling or psychotherapy. Structure your assignment to the following key questions or areas:FILLER TEXT
What is your basic view of human nature?
What key factors account for changes in behavior?
- Describe the nature of the therapist-client relationship and its relative importance.
Describe the key functions and role of the therapist.
Describe the key goals of therapy.
Note particular techniques and procedures of your approach.
- Note specific populations or client issues best suited for this approach, as well as those least suited for this approach.
- References:Course Text: Corey, G. (2017). Theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy (10th ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole.
- Chapter 13, “Postmodern Approaches”
- Chapter 15, “An Integrative Perspective”
- MediaFILLER TEXTFILLER TEXT
- Video: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2006). Counseling and psychotherapy theories: Building a personal theory. Baltimore: Author.