To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review characteristics of a short story in the Glossary of Terms and Techniques for Literature and Creative Writing document located in this weeks Learning Resources. Document: Glossary of Terms and Techniques for Literature and Creative Writing (PDF)
- Define health and well-being. Do these terms have different meanings to different people?
- Compare and contrast depictions of physical and psychological health and well-being in the stories of Gilman and Chopin.
- Consider how the authors convey their perspectives on health and well-being.
- Write a 2-page analysis of Gilmans and Chopins works on womens experiences of physical and psychological health and well-being. Explain how your own definition of health and well-being can be applied to each piece.
Note: Do not write a biography of Gilmans or Chopins personal experiences. Instead, write an analysis of their writing using the techniques you have practiced in previous weeks.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the use of literary techniques in each authors story. Using literary terms, provide explanations for why it is or is not well written.