Critical Thinking Exercises:
- Provide an example of how humor can be used to enhance learning in nursing education (either to patients, staff, or students).
- Consider Chickering and Gamson’s (1987) principle of “emphasizing time on task (found in DeYoung, p. 9). Does this principle apply to both classroom and clinical learning? If so, how may it differ in each setting?
- Observe a clinical nurse educator or preceptor. What strategies do they use that enhance student learning? What do they do that obstructs student learning?
- Describe a situation in which an educator used a creative or innovative approach to promote understanding of an idea or concept.
- Consider an innovation that was recently implemented in a health care or academic setting that you are familiar with. Using the “Process of Innovation” (Exhibit 3-2, p. 44, Bradshaw & Lowenstein), describe how the innovation was introduced, from assessment through evaluation.