Assignment 5: Argument Essay 2
Prompt: In this essay, you will take a position on a debatable issue related to food. To do this, choose an issue for which there are or could be at least two opposing sides. Then, identify your own position on the issue. Your thesis for this essay should state your position on the issue as if it were fact (â€œRestaurants should switch to recyclable take-out packaging,â€ e.g.), and the rest of your essay should support that position with facts and reasoning. Your essay should also include a counterarguments paragraph, where you address and rebut at least one concern from the opposing side.
As you are brainstorming, feel free to consider cultural issues, national issues, state issues, local issues, or personal ones. What food issues affect or concern you or those around you?
As you are writing, carefully consider issues of audience and tone. Use a respectful, academic tone, and consider how you might establish common ground with your audience and persuade them to adopt your position.
Format: Your final draft should be 4-5 full pages (double-spaced, TNR font, 1â€ margins). When formatting your essay and citing outside sources, follow APA format.
Grading Criteria: Your essay should
(1) present a clear position on a debatable issue related to food
(2) use reasoning and evidence to support your position
(3) include a counterarguments paragraph, where you address and rebut at least one concern from the opposing side
(4) include effective transitions between paragraphs
(5) use a respectful, academic tone
(6) use proper APA formatting, including a cover page and proper APA pagination, in-text citations, and references page
(7) include at least four (4) sources, at least two (2) of which must be scholarly
(8) Be meticulously edited and proofread