Imagine you have recently been hired as the Information security director at a start-up health care research firm, where confidential client data is housed in its Data Center. Currently, the company has 100 employees and expects to expand its workforce to 300 in the next three (3) months and the company is moving to a new location in an urban office building across four (4) floors. The security operations and defensive mechanisms have been run in the past by the Networking Department and due to the move, you have a chance to start anew with the companys security operations to improve its overall security posture.
Write an eight to ten (8-10) page paper in which you:
- Identify what you perceive to be the five (5) most concerning threats to the network, computing environment, and the database operations of the company.
- Examine each threat you identified in number 1, in which you:
- Explain why this is your perception.
- Identify what is at risk from these threats.
- Determine how you would design the security controls to mitigate the risks involved.
- Determine the security defense mechanisms that you would utilize in order to secure communications from floor to floor in the office space, including equipment and physical controls.
- Create an office space diagram detailing the security defense tools, equipment and controls utilized, using a diagramming application such as Visio or Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Explain in detail the defensive mechanisms that you would implement to secure the corporate wireless network, including encryption, authentication methods, and at least two (2) WLAN security tools you would utilize on a regular basis.
- Create a wireless network diagram, using a diagramming application such as Visio or Dia based on your explanation in number 5. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Determine whether or not you would utilize encryption technologies on the network and / or computing equipment. Justify your response.
- Consider the use of a cloud-based solution for storing the companys data. Determine the benefits and / or risks that would result using this kind of data storage, and decide whether or not you would utilize this storage option. Justify your decision.