Assignment 2: Discussion—Pathogenic versus Positive Psychology
In this assignment, you will focus on the concept of positive psychology and how it differs from traditional psychotherapy. You will also become aware of the major assumptions and pillars of positive psychology.
Historically, psychology has focused on finding out what is wrong with people. Pathogenic psychology assumes the worst about people by focusing on their weaknesses. The focus of positive psychology is different from this.
Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research Martin Seligman discussing positive psychology. When conducting your Internet search, use the following keywords or phrases:
- Martin Seligman on positive psychology
- Martin Seligman on the state of psychology
Respond to the following:
- Discuss how positive psychology is different from pathogenic psychology. Substantiate your answer with appropriate reasons.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, September 24, 2016, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, September 28, 2016, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read all your peers’ postings.
- Comment on your peers’ ideas about what happens when the focus is on the negative characteristics (pathogenic psychology).
- Comment on their ideas of why positive psychology focuses on happiness.
- Consider their points on how this model is different from traditional psychotherapeutic