(Class: critical thinking).
In a minimum of 750 words total, use at least four of the readings to discuss some of the parallels between immigration as a controversial issue in the U.K. and in the U.S. How does the recent news regarding Brexit and the Supreme Court decision (as well as the Trump presidential campaign) demonstrate the appeal to racism and xenophobia? To what extent are people uninformed vs. misinformed on the issues? How, if at all, would a critical thinking education (including the requirement to consider the stories of immigrants themselves) change perceptions and attitudes?
- The Uncomfortable Question: Was the Brexit Vote Based on Racism? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/25/the-uncomfortable-question-was-the-brexit-vote-based-on-racism/
- Spate of Racist Attacks Blamed on Brexit Vote http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/spate-of-racist-attacks-blamed-on-brexit-vote/
- Why the Language We Use to Talk About Refugees Matters so Much https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/07/30/why-the-language-we-use-to-talk-about-refugees-matters-so-much/?tid=a_inl
- Brown and Gray Dynamics http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/07/brown-and-gray-dynamics/432273/
- Supreme Court Tie Blocks Obama Immigration Plan http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/24/us/supreme-court-immigration-obama-dapa.html?_r=0
- Happy Birthday DACA! Now, for Real Immigration Reform http://www.colorlines.com/articles/happy-4th-birthday-daca-now-real-immigration-reform
- The DREAM Movements New Agenda http://fi2w.org/2014/04/28/the-dream-movements-new-agenda-five-young-immigrants-tell-us-why-theyve-moved-beyond-seeking-a-pathway-to-citizenship/
- Chinese Exclusion and the Dangerous Islamophobia of Donald Trump http://reappropriate.co/2015/12/chinese-exclusion-and-the-dangerous-islamophobia-of-donald-trump/
- Finally, this is a documentary made by pro-legalization advocates which was produced just weeks before the last anticipated Congressional votes on immigration reform. Keep in mind that the perspective is one-sided, but you should also realize that these stories are authentic. But as you watch, dont just absorb the info as presented. Stay critical of the perspective, the narrative, the audience, etc. The Dream is Now http://www.thedreamisnow.org/documentary