Chapter Overview. This chapter focuses on staffing, one of the most important HR activities in which the manager is involved. First, the hiring process is defined and discussed. Second, the major challenges managers face in trying to hire or promote the best persons for the job are examined. Third, a set of procedures to deal with these challenges and to avoid potential problems is recommended. Finally, the legal issues involved in staffing are briefly discussed.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to deal more effectively with the following challenges:
1. Understand human resource supply and demand.
2. Have familiarity with the hiring process.
3. Recognize challenges in the hiring process.
4. Learn practices for meeting the challenge of effective staffing.
5. Know the tools of selection.
6. Develop awareness of legal issues in staffing.