A Metaphor for Organizational Culture
Analyze an organization in which you are an active member (work, school, church, civic group, online community, etc.). Be creative and use a metaphor by which to compare the organizations culture. For example, an organizations culture could be compared to sharks or whales. The sharks are very competitive, and the whales are very cooperative. You can apply this metaphor or create your own for your organization. In your discussion include the following elements:
- Use a metaphor to compare the organizations culture.
- Explain how the organizational culture influences decision making.
- What unwritten rituals, social practices, specialized vocabulary/jargon, values, or routine practices are exhibited by members or leaders?
- Are any competing viewpoints from subcultures within the organization of the elements described above? If so, explain.
- How are new members socialized into the system? What happens if someone violates an unwritten expectation for behavior?