In this course, we will learn about the concepts and controversies of human nutrition. We will also discuss the health consequences of improper nutrition, as well as the benefits of healthy eating and regular physical activity. For your Final Project, you will use the knowledge you have gained in this course to prepare an action plan for your personal dietary habits in a blog format.
Your Final Project should address the following points:
- Explain the connection between nutrition and disease. Be sure to include information on chronic diseases, as well as malnutrition and other leading causes of death.
- Examine the factors (e.g., social, psychological, philosophical, and physical), contemporary nutrition controversies, and cultural differences that drive our food choices.
- Analyze the sources and functions of macro- and micronutrients and their impact on our health and well-being.
- Explain the digestion, absorption, and metabolism of the macronutrients (carbohydrate, protein, and fat). Make sure to appraise the parts of the body involved in these processes.
- Evaluate the nutritional requirements across the lifespan from pregnancy to childhood, and from adolescence to adulthood.
- Create a personal diet modification plan by analyzing your personal diet in terms of nutritional strengths and weaknesses and discussing the changes you plan to make in your own life to better meet the dietary guidelines.
The summative assignment should build upon the concepts learned in Weeks One through