You were required in Week Three (attached) to choose what aspect of the Hurricane Katrina response you will focus upon. The paper should be in response to Case Study 5 in American Intergovernmental Relations: A Fragmented Federal Polity, System Failure: The Response to Hurricane Katrina (pp. 248-254).
For example, you could focus on the evacuation of stranded New Orleans residents; the provision of emergency food and medical equipment in the immediate aftermath of the hurricane; coordinating and implementing temporary housing (e.g., FEMA trailers) to those displaced by Hurricane Katrina; economic assistance provided to cities, towns, and villages along the Gulf Coast; the reestablishment of law and order in the city of New Orleans.
For your chosen topic, be sure to address the following:
- Explain the state aid provided.
- Explain the federal aid provided.
- Explain if there was any federal-state cooperation.
- Analyze intergovernmental cooperation in relationship to your topic.
- Analyze the challenges faced by state and federal agencies and address how those challenges impacted support provided.
- Analyze the lessons that were learned as a result of the disaster. In hindsight, include one example of what might have been done differently.
- Suggest at least one recommendation for how a similar natural disaster might be handled by federal, state, and intergovernmental agencies in the future.