Unit 4: Assessment, Diagnosis, and Research of Psychopathology Discussion
To prepare for this weeks Discussion, review the following videos in addition to this weeks assigned Reading.
- Duran, M. V. (2013). Mental status exam. Retrieved from www.cengage.com/custom/ems/psych/shared/video/player.html?video=mntal_status_exam_16392
- Duran, M. V. (2013). Clinical assessment. Retrieved from www.cengage.com/custom/ems/psych/shared/video/player.html?video=clncal_assessmnt_16379
Diagnosing Clinical Significance
Proceed with this weeks Discussion by searching the Kaplan library or the internet for a screening instrument used in assessing mental health disorders. Select one of the case studies (accessible from the Course Home page)
and address the following questions and issues about diagnosing mental illness:
- Explain what the purpose of a clinical assessment is.
- Identify a commonly used instrument clinicians or psychologists use to screen for the chosen disorder and its purpose (what it screens for).
- Explain what clinical significance is and one challenge that a clinical professional might have when trying to determine whether a patients symptoms is clinically significant.
- Explain why a cause of mental illness may be different from patient-to-patient.
The strongest answer will refer to the textbook and concepts from the Reading material.