QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED:
- If the pressure gradient force remained the same but the earths rate of rotation decreased slightly, would you expect the speed of the geostrophic wind to increase, decrease or remain about the same?
- Explain why it is much more difficult to measure snowfall amount than rainfall amount.
- Would you expect to find a subsidence inversion to be associated with high or low pressure? What effects might a subsidence inversion have on weather conditions at the ground?
- What occurs during a major El Niño event? How might this affect global wind and precipitation patterns?
- What changes might you expect to see in the earths general circulation if the earths rotation were in the opposite direction?
- Explain why large high and low pressure systems dont move from east-to-west across the continental United States.
- When making a weather forecast, which kind of chart is more important: a surface chart or a 500 mb chart? Why?
- List the four basic types of air masses. Give an example of where each type could originate and describe how each air mass could affect local weather conditions if it moved into your region.