H 312 HIV/AIDS and STIs in Modern Society
Extra Credit Assignment
This extra credit assignment is worth 10 points toward your final grade.
Over time, the CDC began to recognize that centralizing the support for evidence-based interventions (EBIs) for HIV prevention could help slow the epidemic in the US. EBIs are programs that have been developed in research settings, tested in experimental settings, and determined to be effective for promoting health and changing behaviors. The CDC funded various health agencies throughout the nation to implement various effective EBIs for HIV prevention. I would like you to explore various programs that the CDC currently recognizes as EBIs and select one in particular. See below.
Explore the CDCs website of HIV evidence-based interventions:
Click on the High Impact Prevention tab, and explore various interventions in both the Public Health Strategies and Behavioral Interventions. You are to select one particular intervention from the site to discuss in depth. In your write-up, please include the following:
- name of intervention
- description of intervention
- target population (if any)
- core components or elements of the intervention (generally shown on the right-hand side of the screen)
- strengths and weaknesses of the approach
- provide an example of how the intervention could be implemented in a chosen area be specific as to the region and population