Assignment 1: Emotional Intelligence and Effective Leadership
According to the article Emotional Intelligence and Effective Leadership, one of the most important constructs in leadership today is the concept and application of emotional intelligence (EI) (Batool, 2013). Imagine that you are an internal consultant to an organization of your choosing. The CEO has tasked you with preparing a presentation for the Board of Directors on what emotional intelligence is, and its influence on leadership and the people within the organization. You can submit this assignment as a PowerPoint or other equivalent visual software, OR as a written assignment. Please see each description below. Note: You may create and / or make all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Fully explain emotional intelligence, and give two (2) examples of the concept. Next, examine the concept of emotional quotient compared to traditional intelligence quotient.
- Suggest two to three (2-3) reasons why leaders need emotional intelligence to manage todays workforce. Speculate on at least two (2) possible consequences should a leader not possess emotional intelligence.
- Explore the elements of emotional intelligence that leaders must be aware of to increase leadership effectiveness.
- Recommend a strategy that the organization could undertake in order to improve the social skills of leaders within the organization and thereby positively influence their emotional intelligence. Support your recommendation with specific examples that illustrate why the strategy would be effective.
- Use at least two (2) quality academic resources you have located using the Strayer Library resources / data bases in this assignment. Academic references for this assignment should be formatted by APA guidelines for Annotated Bibliography. You can find helpful APA resources in the Graduate Student Success Toolkit in the section Math and Writing Tools.