Answer each question below carefully. The objective of this assignment is to assess whether or not you understood the major themes and concepts for the chapter on “Congress”. Use your own words in responding to these short essay questions. (10 points total) You must submit your responses in word document format using the “Browse My Computer” button on the assignment submission page, which can be found by clicking the title of this assignment above. Responses should be limited to two or three single-spaced pages. In your answers, please number each response accordingly. Use ‘12’ inch size Times New Roman font; with one inch margins throughout.
1. Is Congress truly representative? Do you think that it really represents citizen needs and demands? Why or why not?
2. Americans seem to love their members of Congress but not Congress as a whole. What is the evidence for this? How can we explain this?
3. What does Congress do? What are its three main functions?
4. How do the dynamics of Committee government negatively impact the budgeting process?
5. Two nearly identical bills—both with bipartisan support—are introduced in the House and the Senate. Briefly describe their path to law.
6. What is the role of the speaker of the House? The Senate’s president pro-tempore? The majority and minority leaders? Which tend to be more powerful? Why?
7. What are the mechanisms of Congressional oversight? Are they effective or not?