Unit 6 Assignment Mind and Body
In a 5-page essay, you will evaluate the following case study and explore how different psychological perspectives and theories affect wellness and illness due to life stressors. In your paper, you will address the following questions using the different psychological theories and perspectives covered in Units 16 on wellness and illness.
Case Study for Unit 6 Assignment:
Unit 6 Assignment: Case Study
Nancy is a 50-year-old woman who has been smoking since she was 17-years-old. Over the years, she has developed a two pack per day habit. Nancy works as a case manager at a residential facility for children with mental health problems. She has a caseload of over 20 clients at any given time for whom she must conduct intakes and coordinate discharge plans when their treatment is completed. She also fields calls from health insurance companies and worried parents. Co-workers often ask her to fill in and provide direct service to clients when a staff member calls in sick. This is not in her job description, but Nancy likes to help out. She recently heard that the facility where she works may close due to budget cuts, and she is worried about what she will do if her position is eliminated.
Nancy is a single mother. She has a good relationship with her college-age daughter, who lives at home; her daughter stays busy with work and classes and is rarely home. About 4 weeks ago, Nancys mother learned she was terminally ill and moved in so that Nancy could look after her. Nancys mother is demanding and often complains that she does not like Nancys house or how Nancy cares for her, but Nancy is trying her best. Nancy has recently lost over 10 pounds because she has been so busy with work and caring for her mother that some days she forgets to eat or loses her appetite. Nancy used to enjoy going to the gym several times per week, but she finds she does not have time to go anymore.
Nancy has wanted to quit smoking for the past two decades. About 3 months ago, she spoke to her doctor about a structured, medically-supervised plan to help her to quit. Unfortunately, she has found her smoking habit has actually gotten worse. She is up to 2 ½ packs of cigarettes per day. The folder the doctor gave her with the smoking cessation plan inside sits untouched on her kitchen table.
- What stressors exist in the case study? Consider stressors related to family, occupation, and health.
- How is stress measured? What are the psychological, biological, and social coping resources that can be used to decrease stress? What happens to a persons body when he/she does not use positive coping mechanisms for stress?
- Nancy is clearly using tobacco to cope with stress. What are some problems that can result from tobacco use?
- How can stress-related chronic illnesses be prevented? If a person suffers with a chronic illness, what are can he or she do to accept the illness and develop a healthier lifestyle? What would you recommend to Nancy to make changes in her life and why?
Each Paper should include:
- A title page
- The paper itself (the discussion)
- A references page
- Use standard margins: 1? on all sides.
- Use standard 12-point font size in Times New Roman or Arial.
- Use standard double-spacing: average of 22 lines per page, and between 20 to 24 lines per page.
- Use left-aligned text. Do not right-justify.