INT 1010 APA PAPER (100 points)
See the Summary at the end of this document for due dates of each phase and possible points for each. All phases must be submitted on time to earn points for the final phase.
Overview: This project will involve writing an analytical paper, using APA (American Psychological Association) format and guidelines, that evaluates any of the Ethical Issues that we as a society may face while we are involved in our daily lives, both at work and in the home. The paper will also include a detailed description of an Emerging Technology or a â€œcutting edgeâ€ technology that you as the author feel that is making a significant impact on the Digital Age.
Phase 1 Pick your topics and Plagiarism:
Step 1: Decide on the Ethical Issue that you will be investigating, also choose a 21st century Emerging Technology that you feel is impacting (or is projected to impact) human civilization. No two students in the class may have identical sets of the two topics, though overlap is allowed. When you decide on your topics, post a thread to the Blackboard discussion board established for this purpose. Before posting, look at the threads already there to make sure your set of is unique. You donâ€™t have to explain anything, just list your topics in the subject line.
Step 2: Do some research on plagiarism. Learn how you need to credit your sources. Start with reading the GCFLearnFree.org tutorial, â€œUse Information Correctly, Avoiding Plagiarism.â€ Then explore the Citing Sources, Plagiarism section of the PGCC Library Research Tutorial (http://pgcc.libguides.com/c.php?g=60038&p=385714 ). Take the Plagiarism Quiz until you get 100% on this web page (http://pgcc.libguides.com/citationstyle/plagiarism)
Take a screen-shot of the screen showing your score (100%) on the quiz from the email that will be sent to you and attach it to your discussion board post in Blackboard for Phase 1. If you do not know how to take a screenshot, read the GCFLearnFree.org tutorial under Tech Savvy Tips and Tricks, Taking Screenshots.
Phase 2 Bibliography:
Step 1: In this phase, you will research information about an ethical issue and an emerging technology.
- Find at least three (3) sites that identifies and describes the ethical issue that you want to research
- Find at least three (3) sites that identifies an emerging technology of your choosing
- Keep all (6) URLâ€™s in a Word document.
Step 2:Create a bibliography (reference page) using the Word references feature. Include each of your sources. Use the resources available on the GCF LearnFree website on â€œHow to create a bibliography or works cited page in Wordâ€.
Managing your references will be much easier if you use the same computer; but if you plan to work in different locations, you will need to move your sources. Here is a link that explains how to move bibliography sources:
Step 3:Submit the Word document (regular bibliography) into the Blackboard assignment for this phase.
Phase 3 Write the Paper:
In this phase you will complete your paper and submit it for a plagiarism check. Be sure to give credit to your sources throughout your paper using the Word reference features to enter internal citations.
Take into account the following guidelines:
Research papers are organized so that the information flow resembles an hourglass in that it goes from the overall idea to more specific (detailed) description and then back to general (overall) again.The introduction section will introduce the topics and provide general information. The methods and results will provide specific, detailed information about this research project and the discussion/conclusion will discuss the findings in a larger context.
The following section will describe each of these parts in more detail.
The body of your paper should include:
- Introduction: The introduction begins by introducing the broad overall topic and providing basic background information.It then narrows down to the specific research question relating to this topic.It provides the purpose and focus for the rest of the paper and sets up the justification for the research.
- A brief explanation of your choices. The body should tell why you chose that particular â€œEthical Issueâ€ and â€œEmerging Technologyâ€. Explain in detail on what you discovered.
- Explain the benefits and limitations of the emerging technology that you have chosen to write about. Details should be supported by your research.
- Evaluate the ethical issue that you have chosen. Relate this issue to the identified emerging technologies (above) if possible. Support your opinion by citing facts learned in your research.
- The Reference pages. You should already have this created using the Word Reference feature. You should also use the Word Reference feature to make your internal citations. You should only submit a Works Cited page (APA style).
Submit a copy of your paper to the Blackboard assignment link. It will be automatically submitted to SafeAssign to check your paper for plagiarism. You may want to read through this web page about how SafeAssign works:
Read through the originality report you receive after submission and make the appropriate edits to your paper for Phase 4.
Phase 4 Format the Final Paper:
After you make any necessary changes based on the originality report from Phase 3, format your paper according to APA formatting style (see example paper in Blackboard for illustration of this format). It should include:
- Title page
- Body of paper with sources credited parenthetically
- Reference page
Submit this final draft document (one Word file) into the Blackboard assignment for this phase.
(See Course Schedule)
Phase 1 Pick Topics and Plagiarism
Post to Discussion Board
Phase 2 Bibliography
Word document in assignment
Phase 3 Write the Paper
Phase 4 Final Paper
Research Paper Final Version