This case takes a horizontal slice through a number of coexistent issues As a result, the challenge is knowing where to start just as it is in real organizations and this requires detective work. Patton takes a page out of the Donald Trump repertoire with his dramatic youre fired!
The key point in posing these questions is to help set the scene for Pattons next steps. The questions listed below are for you to ponder, as you are reading the case. It is not necessary for you to submit answers to the questions. They are strictly for you to see the relevance and the logic to these questions, as you read the case. Here are some questions to ponder,as you reflect upon the case
- What do you think about Pattons firing of the DIOs?
- There are two parts to this discussion that need to be explored.First, was there no possible way of getting the DIOs onside? Second, was it appropriate to fire the DIOs publically as opposed to privately?
- Also, examine the DIO firings from the point of view of the four divisional presidents.See organization chart (see attached Appendix B) which shows Pattons office and the DIOs in green to highlight these reporting relationships.
- Do you think the DIOs have a dotted line relationship with their divisional presidents and a dotted line to Patton; or is it the other way round?
- How do you think the divisional Presidents will feel about Pattons firings?
- Would they feel as if Patton just fired their employee? It doesnt appear that they were made aware of these impending firings by Patton.
- How would they feel about that?
Answer the five(5) discussion questions listed below (can also be found at the end of case study in book)
- List the advantages of a single customer service center for RR Communications.There are six of them.
- Devise an implementation strategy that would guarantee the support of the divisional presidents for the shared customer service center.
- Is it possible to achieve an enterprise vision with a decentralized IT function?
- What business and IT problems can be caused by lack of common information and an enterprise IM strategy?
- What governance mechanisms need to be put in place to ensure common customer data and a shared customer service center? What metrics might be useful?