All the work from our Essay advisors online and essay re-writers online is customized, unique and of top tier A-grade level.
SAMPLE QUESTION: DISCUSS DIFFERENT CAREER PATHS IN NURSING AND YOUR PREFERRED NURSING SPECIALTY (MEDICAL SURGICAL) 250 TO 300 WORDS.
Nursing is a highly specified professional course, and area of work, that is held with great importance. In fact, it is due to the sensitivity, criticality and life-saving work that make it both interesting and, sometimes, a really demanding career path. One of the most prominent yet very little known about specialty is the Medical Surgical Nursing, also known as, the med-surg unit of a hospital.
The med-surg unit of nursing is a section of the expertise that stands out world-wide. In the United States, it is the one single aspect of nursing that is attractive to many of the prospective and specializing in the area of study. The most outstanding characteristic of the med-surg unit is that the participants and professionals are people who exhibit great expertise and knowledge in the area of caring and nursing for adult people who present various medical needs and conditions. Among the types of med-surg units one can also observe that it is predominantly involving of the care for the patients undergoing or recovering from surgical procedures.
For students and professional nurses who have a passion for caring and nursing vulnerable and, many a time, critical patients, the med-surg unit of nursing is the go-to career choice for a registered nurse. That said, it goes without saying that mixing passion and expertise helps a great deal to succeed in the process of fulfilling the requirements of the medical-surgical nursing job description.
MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING JOB DESCRIPTION
What exactly does the medical-surgical nurse do? It is in the process of answering this question that we easily slide into asking what is the job description of the medical surgical nurse? Generally, the med-surg nursing practitioner will be involved in various environments. In clinics, the med-surg nurse is mainly mandated to conduct day to day check up and rounds on patients with myriads of varying illnesses, injuries, conditions, and care needs.
In the clinics, the medical-surgical job description allows, and often, compels that expert to forge professional relationships with the patient. It is through these relationships that one is able to determine the very best and appropriate treatment and care strategies. Hospitals are quite large and multi-faceted. As such, the Medical-Surgical Nursing Job Description in the hospital requires that the nurse is able to work, collaboratively, with other professionals in the healthcare sector within the hospital.
In a nutshell, the medical-surgical nursing job description has the inherent expectation of certain very specific abilities from the M/S Nurse. Some of these expectations are etched on one’s ability to collect, analyze and assess the condition of the presented patient. Additionally, the M/S nurse job description asserts that one needs to be a great monitor of situation. In this regard, the med-surg nurse ought to be able to monitor the key indicators for the situation of the patient.
Moreover, the med-surg nurse job description insists that the professional M/S nurse needs to be able to administer treatment in the form of medication and care. These include providing consistent and timely medication as recommended, change and clean dressings, maintaining the best recovery conditions for the patient, and so on. Of importance is also the fact that the Job description for the M/S nurse requires that one has to be a good record keeper. The accuracy, preciseness, and timely recording of information needs to be part of the day to day practice of the med-surg nursing unit practitioner.
TOP 10 TYPES OF NURSING UNITS IN A HOSPITAL
As an aspiring med-surg nurse, there are several options for you to consider when looking into specialization. Ideally, the general idea is that everyone should aim at specializing in an area and sub-section of the discipline of study and practice. The following are some of the types of the med-surg units for you to consider:
- Cardiology Services in the Med-Surg units: This is the section whose specialty commits them to taking care and offering services to patients who are admitted or need inpatient cardiology related services. The services range from simple one-time attention to expensive and complex care and treatment strategies.
- Oncology in Med-Surg Units: Hematology, bone marrow transplants, radiation, chemotherapy and many other aspects of medical treatment come to mind when talking about oncology. In this regard, it is possible to see that the med-surg nurses involved in the oncology unit of the med-surg nursing is involved in all processes that pertain to malignancy and diagnoses that relate to cancer.
- Trauma Nursing unit of the Med-surg nursing unit: These are the nursing professionals who deal with injuries that range from minor ones to extensive and fatal trauma. They are involved in the journey of the patient from the time they gain entrance into the ER to the point of stabilization and discharge.
- Surgical Specialties in the Med-Surg Nursing Units: The unit is actively involved in the interventions that are needed after the patient comes out of operation. In essence, the bariatrics, colometry, vascular, urology, oncology-related surgeries, gynecology associated surgeries, among others, and their aftermaths fall in the hands of the med-surg nurses in the type of nursing unit in the hospital.
- Orthopedic Trauma Unit: This is the type of nursing unit in a hospital that handles all injuries concerning spine, joints, hands, foot, and other orthopedic injuries.
- Accelerated Access Unit: This type of med-surg unit is vital to the operation of the healthcare institution as it is the pivot that balances between the already busy units and the incoming patients requiring the services. As such, this type of nursing unit in a hospital.
- Neuroscience Nursing Unit: Surgeries related to the neuro-surgical, traumas involving the nervous system, neurology, and stroke-related issues fall under this type of nursing unit in a hospital.
- Physical Medicine and Physical Rehabilitation: The type of nursing unit in a hospital mitigates issues relating to musculoskeletal injuries, brain and spinal injuries as well as the care that cuts across many different nursing disciplines.
- Cardiothoracic Care Nursing: The unit takes care of the patients undergoing or recovering from Cardiothoracic associated operations.
- Med/Surg Specialty: As already discussed above, the unit deals with a wide-range of situations and patients needing surgery or need recovery from a medico-surgical procedure. These are the nurses who help the patients to recover through respiratory amelioration, ventilator status, and condition management.
ALTERNATIVE CAREERS FOR REGISTERED NURSES
Inasmuch as there are lots of interesting facts and fascinating aspects of the different types of nursing, one is bound to consider alternative careers for registered nurses. Reasons could be variant from one person to another. Whether it is for an additional source of income, change in career, filling in of any extra time or just researching for information, alternative careers for registered nurses are worth considering.
The alternative jobs for a nursing background can be in literally any sector of work. For instance, the fact that nurses have experience in analysis, record keeping, human relations, collaboration, medication, and care, makes the versatile enough to be involved in the various sectors of work. The alternative jobs a nursing background are evidently available in the field of academia. If one seeks to be involved in alternative careers for registered nurses but not work in the hospital environment, they might consider academia as their considered playing filed.
The possible practice areas range from nursing academic writer, nursing academic advisor, nursing academic tutor, nursing student coach, among others. In addition to nursing academic advice, other non-hospital alternative jobs a nursing background include coaching for nursing health, legal nursing consultancies, Occupational nursing advisor, Dialysis nursing, Hospice nursing practice, nurse case manager, midwifery nursing practice, and if one is interested in education, then nursing education is the best avenue as an alternative career for registered nurses.
TOP NON-NURSING JOBS FOR NURSES
Based on the acquired and leaned skills that nurses tend to present, even non-nursing jobs for nurses can emerge as appropriate choosing points.