This paper is based upon studentsâ€™ reading of the book, Eligible for Execution. After reading the book, select two of the many decisions that counsel were required to make during their handling of this capital murder case. More specifically, you are required to select one major decision made by any of the attorneys representing Daryl Atkins and one decision made by the prosecutors in this case and, with respect to each:
- Identify and explain that decision.
- Explain why the decision was made.
- Was this a decision that was significant to the outcome of the case?
- Describe who else was involved in the decision-makingprocess?
- Explain the what problem facing the parties when the decision was made?
- Identify the advantages and disadvantages of the choice they made; and
- Explain whether the decision you chose was, in your opinion, a good or bad decision andbe sure to clearly state your criteria for what constitutes a â€œgoodâ€ or â€œbad â€œdecision.
- In explaining whether the decision was good or bad, consider how a different decision might have resulted in a different outcome on that particular issue. Be sure to provide examples with appropriate page references to support your answer.
The questions above do not have to be answered in the specific order presented, but all must be addressed. While responding to the questions in narrative form, the answers you provide may not necessarily flow in the same order as the questions posed.
- Papers should be between 5-7 pages in length. This is NOT a book report. In other words, assume your Instructor has read the book and do not summarize it in your paper.
- Your paper should be double spaced, with one-inch margins and use a font equivalent to Times New Roman 12 point.
- When describing aspects of the decision made by counsel, you may refer to outside sources, if necessary, to explain those decisions.
- In-text citations to the Walker book and all outside sources are absolutely required, as is a Works Cited page if sources other than Walker are consulted.
- The 5-7 page minimum does not include a cover sheet (if you use one) or Works Cited page.