Post an explanation of how dominant groups can play a role in marginalizing other groups based on racial and ethnic characteristics..
Discussion 1: Group DynamicsIntragroup, Dominant Group, and Marginalization
Members of dominant ethnic and racial groups may assume that other groups struggles are not their own or assume that those of a given race speak with one voice and react in the same way to their oppression. In reality, people can cope with racial inequalities in a variety of ways, creating complex relationships both between the dominant and oppressed group and among members of the dominant and oppressed groups.
As a social worker, you must understand the many ways in which racial privilege can impact your clients. You must also understand the ways in which racial privilege has impacted your life and the ways you react to the realities of racism. You will likely need to help clients address racial divides and combat racial inequality to empower them.
To prepare: Review Working With Immigrants and Refugees: The Case of Aaron.
- · Post an explanation of how dominant groups can play a role in marginalizing other groups based on racial and ethnic characteristics.
- · Discuss the potential negative impact of a dominant culture on immigrants and refugees, such as Aaron.
- · How might racism and prejudice impact his assimilation?
- · Furthermore, explain how you would respond to Aaron when he discusses his familys rejection of his desire to maintain his cultural roots.
- · In your explanation, identify specific skills you would employ as a multiculturally sensitive social worker.