Mobile telecommunication technologies are quickly evolving. The global impact of mobile technologies has reached unparalleled levels in the modern computing age. The global impact of mobile technologies has yet to be fully examined and understood. As the percentage of individuals who use smartphones and tablets continues to increase, so does the need for a full exploration of the cultural, social, and fiscal issues related to mobile telecommunication technologies. One of the primary concerns with mobile telecommunication technologies is the use of location-based tracking systems. Data from each mobile device are collected, used, and stored by merchants, government agencies, and law enforcement agencies. The average American is unaware of the amount of data that personal mobile telecommunication devices generate as well as who is collecting, using, and storing these data.
In a paper of 35 pages, provide an overview of location-based tracking technologies. Complete the following:
- Provide a description of the merchants, government agencies, and law enforcement agencies that are collecting data using location-based tracking technologies.
- What are merchants using location-based tracking data for?
- What are government agencies using location-based tracking data for?
- What are law enforcement agencies using location-based tracking data for?
- Discuss why location-based tracking technologies are a threat to individual privacy.
- What steps do you take to manage your personal data?
- Should individuals protect themselves from location-based tracking technologies, or should individuals embrace this type of data sharing as a reality of a new data-based culture?