In society, many people link abusing drugs or alcohol to an individuals lack of personal responsibility or morality. Prior to American model Anna Nicole Smiths death, which was from an apparently accidental overdose of several prescription medications, her son, Daniel, had died just months before from an apparent drug overdose. This incident poses the question of whether the son inherited a vulnerability to addiction from his mother or was the habit picked up from living with her over the years. Post should be at least 400450 words in length.
Case study in attachment below.
To prepare for this weeks Discussion, review the following sources in addition to this weeks assigned Reading.
- Harvard Health. (2004). The addicted brain, a Harvard review. Harvard Health Publications: Harvard Medical School. Retrieved from http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/The_addicted_brain.htm
- In the case studies in the Course Home Tab, read Case Study 3 Ellis: Substance Use Disorder: Opioid
Proceed with this weeks Discussion by addressing the following about the nature of substance use disorders:
- Provide an overview of the biological, psychological, sociocultural theories surrounding the causes of substance use disorders.
- Next, select one of the theories (biological causes, psychological causes, or sociocultural causes) and defend and support how the selected approach can explain why people use psychoactive drugs, such as the individual in this weeks case study.
- Based on the selected cause, explain why it is difficult for a person to stop the drug or alcohol use and addiction