For this assignment, you will select and investigate a communication theory and create an annotated bibliography that conforms to American Psychological Association format and style requirements.
1. Choose a communication theory from the following:
Any group or organizational comm theory EXCEPT Groupthink
Cultural Studies, Cultivation Analysis, Spiral of Silence and Media Ecology theories but NOT Uses and Gratifications
Any of the Culture and Diversity theories
Any of the Relationship Development theories
2. Review information about the theory you’d like to pursue. The Encyclopedia of Communication Theory would be a good source for this.
3. Search for peer-reviewed journal articles about the communication theory and career you’re interested in. Your job is to explore research on communication theories or skills that has been conducted about your chosen career field. For example, “nursing” and “standpoint theory” or “nursing” and “empathetic listening.”
4. Report the subject area.
5. Report the database(s) you used for your search.
6. Report the keywords you used in your searches.
7. Write an introductory paragraph (~250-300 words) describing the reasons you chose that theory or researcher in the context of the following question:
How can an understanding communication theory supplement your skills and the insights you will need to succeed in your future work?
8. Select three articles from the databases in your field of study or career interest that support your thesis in response to the question posed in Step 9.
9. Write an annotated bibliography for the three articles that best support your thesis. If you are unfamiliar with an annotated bibliography go to the Purdue OWL. You need to write a complete APA citation for each article. Then write a summary of at least 150 words for each article that includes an explanation of how the article supports your thesis. Make sure each summary or “annotation” includes a specific quote that illuminates what you learned from the article.