Please read the case Under Armour Challenging Nike in Sport Apparel (Case 5) and solve the following questions from this strategic scenario:
You have been hired by the board of directors as a consultant to analyze its current strategic position and relationship with the key market players. Your contract stipulates that you must provide appropriate recommendations that pertain to the marketplace growth, operations, and decisive strategy for added value to Under Armours product base. Your firm has been empowered to furnish critical information and data to the corporate decision process.
Please see the Course Materials section for more information on completing the case studies.
The following questions need to be addressed as a result of your study:
- Use a Five Force analysis to determine how strong the competitive forces are confronting Under Armour, Nike, and The Adidas Group.
- Does Under Armour have any core competencies, resource strengths, or competitive capabilities that qualify as a distinctive competence?
- What does a SWOT analysis reveal about the overall attractiveness of Under Armours situation?
- Which one of the five generic competitive strategies discussed in Chapter 5 most closely approximates the competitive approach that Under Armour is employing?
- What is impressive about Under Armours financial performance during the 2006-2011 period (as shown in case Exhibit 1)?
- What recommendations would you make to Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank?