Discussion Questions for Early Rock n Roll Covers:
- Shake, Rattle, and Roll: original version recorded by Big Joe Turner, 1954; cover version by Bill Haley and the Comets, 1954
- Mystery Train: original version written and recorded by Junior Parker, 1953; cover version by Elvis Presley, 1955
- What are the main similarities and differences between the original and cover versions of each of these songs?
- Compare and contrast the vocal performances of Big Joe Turner and Bill Haley, and Junior Parker and Elvis Presley in their versions of these songs.
- In each case, do you think that the cover version was a rip-off of the original, or that it was a new treatment of the original?
- In your opinion, which version has a better feel? Why?