Part II 4 points
This week, you will continue to investigate the origins of the most commonly used construction materials in civil and architectural engineering. This week you will investigate brick. The questions below should serve to guide your research. You should write a coherent essay answering the questions below. One-word answers to the questions listed are not acceptable. You should paraphrase the information you discover during your investigation and cite appropriate references.
Useful references: http://www.gobrick.com/Technical-Notes
- Investigate the mining and processing of the materials used to make brick.
- What are the primary materials used to make brick? Where are they mined in the U.S.?
- How are the materials used to make brick processed after they are mined?
- How much energy is used to mine 1 kg of brick-making materials?
- How are bricks made? Describe the process. Describe approximately how much energy is required to make 1 kg of bricks.
- Approximately how much brick is produced annually in the U.S.? In the world?
- What are the environmental effects of manufacturing brick?