Assignment Objectives 1
Understand strategic planning terminology, concepts, theories and models.
There are a number of well-known strategic planning models. To bring your team up to speed on the evolution of strategic planning itself, write a white paper of 1,2001,500 words that addresses the following specific models of strategic planning:
- Michael Porters Five Forces
- Adrian Slywotzkys Value Migration
- W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgnes Blue Ocean Strategy
Using the Web resources provided and any others that you find, address the following in your white paper:
- Discuss the premise underlying each of the three models of strategic planning and the advantages that each brings to the process.
- Discuss how to apply or implement strategic planning using each of the methods.
- Discuss the pros and cons of each strategic planning method.
Select 1 of the models, and respond to the following questions:
- What methods could be used to ensure continuous process improvement in the organization from a production and operations management perspective?
- From a business finance or accounting perspective, how would you analyze the business and measure the effectiveness of your strategy so that you can make the best decisions for the organization?
- As a leader, how would you help the organizational structure and culture adapt to the changes that would result from this strategy (e.g., how you would empower teams, resolve conflicts, and motivate employees to support the changes from this strategy)?
- From a marketing perspective, what effect will the strategy have on your marketing plan; product differentiation, positioning, life cycle, and portfolio; and Internet or retail marketing to your customers?
- What human resource management changes will be necessary because of the strategy? Address each of the functions of human resources, including staffing, training and development, performance management, compensation, and employee relations.
Assignment Objectives 2
Develop the capacity to think strategically about a company, its business model and position within the industry, and the attainment of a competitive advantage.
Acquire skills in conducting strategy, developing strategic options, analyzing action alternatives, making strategic decisions, and effective policy and strategy implementation
Write 400600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
You plan to hold a weekly breakfast meeting with your team of strategic planners to practice how to conduct a SWOTT analysis. For the upcoming weeks breakfast meeting, you told your team that they should be prepared to conduct a SWOTT analysis of an organization in the consumer electronics industry.
Conduct a brief SWOTT analysis on any real organization in the consumer electronics industry. Provide a short introduction of the organization you chose, and describe the organizations strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats, and trends.
- Strengths: The internal and external characteristics of a company that are stronger than its competitors.
- Weaknesses: The internal and external characteristics of a company that are weaker than its competitors.
- Opportunities: The issues internal and external to a company that can affect the company and its competitors in a favorable way.
- Threats: The issues internal and external to a company that can affect the company and its competitors in an unfavorable way.
- Trends: The internal and external patterns in the organization, market, or industry.