- Which of the following were factors in the emergence of Christian asceticism? ______
Preparation for the end of the world
An alternative to martyrdom
Making a public statement of devotion
All of the above.
- The word ecumenical means ________.
- Which of the following are differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church?
The Eastern Orthodox Church allows priests to marry, whereas the Roman Catholic Church does not.
The Roman Catholic Church relies heavily on icons, whereas the Eastern Orthodox Church does not.
The Roman Catholic Church has always used the vernacular languages whereas the Eastern Orthodox Church has only recently begun to use the vernacular.
All of the above
4.Martin Luther believed spiritual authority lay ________.
in the hands of the Church
in the hand of the peasant
in the scripture
- The Eucharist is also known as ________.
the Our Father
- The European Enlightenment was characterized by a growing confidence in________.
- Which of the following American denominations believes that the true Sabbath is on Saturday rather than Sunday?
The Disciples of Christ
The Seventh-Day Adventists
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Protestant congregations that call themselves Pentecostal tend to cultivate the practice of________.
speaking in tongues
the stations of the cross
- European Christianity failed to displace the religious traditions of________.
China, Japan, and India
- Christianity has been used to support _______.
All of the above.
- The word Islam means ________.
follower of God
follower of Muhammad
- The prophet Muhammad was born in ________.
- The community in which the prophet Muhammad was born was, by and large, ________.
- The term ummah means ________.
- The Sunni Muslims believe that ________.
Abu Bakr became the successor of Muhammad
Ali bin Abi Talib became the successor of Muhammad
Zayd bin Harithah became the successor of Muhammad
there should be no successor of Muhammad
- The Shia Muslims believe that ________.
Abu Bakr became the successor to Muhammad
Ali bin Abi Talib became the successor to Muhammad
Zayd bin Harithah became the successor to Muhammad
there should be no successor to Muhammad
- The term Quran is derived from a root word meaning ________.
- Shari ah is ________.
a sacred tradition
the teachings of Muhammad
the location of the Muslim community
- The shaykhs of Sufi orders are similar to the saints of the Catholic Church in that ________.
they are recognized through official canonization
they are ascribed miracles or divine favours
they are only men, not women
they usually lived in hermitages
- The day designated for community prayer is ________.