The video, A Look at Race Relations through a Childs Eyes (CNN, 2012), explores how young children may already have an idea of race and racism. The results of the study presented in the video seem to indicate all children (and likely adults) identify themselves as part of a racial group.
Based on the information in this video, write a paper or create a presentation that addresses the following:
- What is your reaction to the study? Explain.
- How do you think these ideas should be addressed?
- Whose role is it to confront negative stereotypes and attitudes about races? How should it be done?
- What happens when the messages a child receives from home and school are at odds?
- Write a reflection about your personal racial/cultural identity and background. Include representative images.
- This is not an easy thing to do, but it is a great way to start a genuine conversation about race and diversity.