Research in the University Library to locate a journal article that describes academic research studies related to human services management.
Also locate a research peer-reviewed article that uses both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
Write a 1000- to 1,050-word paper describing the scientific method and the steps in scientific inquiry. Address each of the following in your paper:
- Define the scientific method. How does it relate to human services research?
- What are the steps in the scientific method of inquiry or research process? Why must each of these steps be included to support the scientific method? Briefly discuss how the scientific research method was applied in the article you found.
- Summarize how scientifically sound research (in other words, applying the scientific method) supports the function of a human services manager.
- Define appropriate academic research.
- Define quantitative research and qualitative research. Explain how they differ, and relate each to the human services field and the scientific method.
- Describe how to decide whether to use a quantitative or a qualitative research methodology. Provide examples of what sort of study is appropriate for each methodology, and explain why.
- Define mixed method research, and describe its strengths. Provide an example of when it is appropriate to apply mixed method research in the human services field.
- Identify an ethical issue in research that was addressed in the article