In this case we investigate the technology-related decision making in organizations.
- We start by introducing the objective of governance specific to the information technology function and services.
- Next, we offer to you the fundamental battle in technology managementthe constant tug-of-war between centralization and decentralization.
- We then provide several examples of how real-world organizations have reconciled their choices in how to structure themselves.
- Next, we present an overview of decision making processes and some of the methods for making decisions.
- Finally, we present insight into the complexity of real-world choices highlight the politics of information.
Before writing-up the Case paper, make sure you read and review the course materials assigned to Module 2.
Using the structure of governance focus area found on Figure 1 in the following COBIT case study, write a 4-5 page report comparing and describing the IT governance structure and decision-making processes in your organization. Include a discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of your organizations circumstances and present and justify one specific improvement you would make to either the structure or a process. Be sure to apply the concepts and use the terminology provided in the readings and case study. Follow the case study in terms of finding derived value and next steps to discuss your organization.
Please note that the ISACA website may give an error as you click on the URL, but it will still link you to the case.
ISACA (2015). Developing a governance framework for the global support organization at GlaxoSmithKline, using COBIT. Retrieved from http://www.isaca.org/Knowledge-Center/cobit/Pages/COBIT-Case-Study-Developing-a-Governance-Framework-for-the-Global-Support-Organisation-at-GlaxoSmithKline-Using-COBIT.aspx