Objectives of the Writing Assignment
- Learn about a current political issue or problem of political consequence.
- Develop your Internet and library research skills.
- Evaluate your topic from the perspective of different cultures and/or political viewpoints as well as your own.
- Improve personal and social responsibility.
- Improve communication and critical thinking skills.
- Topic selection A current governmental or political (not historical) issue or problem of importance
- Content address the various sides of the issue with the student drawing personal conclusions based on their own analysis of the issue, and demonstrating an understanding of its complexities. Compare and contrast the different viewpoints of sources used on your topic taking into account the limits of a position. Present an informed evaluation of the evidence and different viewpoint surrounding the topic.
- Paper length your paper should be at minimum (no maximum) of 750 words long (not counting headings). The paper should be typewritten and double-spaced, and based on information from a minimum of three sources (no maximum).
- Writing stylewith few or no typographical errors, misspelled words, and grammatical errors. Use proper paragraphing and improve your writing style by revising the paper as many times as necessary.
- Citationsanytime you borrow someones ideas, paraphrase or quote them, cite all sources using an appropriate method approved by the instructor. Analyze and question your sources assumptions.
- A bibliography or work cited page also using an appropriate method approved by the instructor.